Training collars are the most popular and commonly used tools in dog training. The basic ones are called in different names like choke collar, training collar, slip collar, or correction collar. To be effective, like any tools, training collars need proper use. Here are the most important considerations when using them:
1. Does it fit your dog? It is important to take not of the size of the collar to make it easier to use and safer for your dog.
2. Is it put on accurately? Putting the collar on your dog has the possibility of being wrong and it poses potential harm and ineffectiveness.
3. Is it properly used? A training collar should NOT be used for punishment but rather a tool to keep him reminded of his restrictions. So avoid constant pressure when using the collar.
4. Are you using the right type of chain? See to it that the weight of the chains and the size of the links are proportionate to the size and weight of the dog.
5. Is the placement of the collar good? The collar must be properly placed on the dog because many possibilities depend upon it. For instance a training collar that is too tight could be hardly put on or off. Then again, the one that is too loose may unintentionally fall off of the dog’s head. This is the reason why a dog owner should remember that an ideal size of a collar fits securely yet comfortably.
Also, it is necessary to be aware that in order to use properly a training collar which is too long for the dog, the handler needs a good deal of skill when using it. For proper sizing and measure of the dog, it is best to use a tape measure. Then provide 2 to 3 inches allowance for that measurement. Example, if your dog has a neck 14″ in circumference, it is better to buy a training collar that is 16″ long. But there are available chain slip collars which are basically sized in two inch increments.
Now, when fitting the pet collar properly, the part of the chain connected to the harness must be placed at the top of the dog’s neck. This way, the collar can be easily released. Finally, purchase a high quality training collar that is both strong and well made for safety purposes.